My Playlist

Sunday, May 2, 2010

What Draws Us Away?

We face temptations daily that can lead us astray from the gospel. There are three man tendencies that draw us away:

C.J. Mahaney writes in Living The Cross Centered Life the three temptations in particular that leads us astray.

1. Subjectivism- basing our views of God on our changing feelings and emotions
2. Legalism- basing our relationship with God on our own performance. Legalism is seeking to achieve forgiveness from God and justification before God through obedience to God. If people are justified through their obedience to the law, then they merit praise, honor, and glory. Legalism basically shifts glory from God to ourselves. We shift our concentration away from the gospel, and it represents the depth of arrogance in light of God's holiness and my sinfulness. More or less, legalism is self-glorification.
3. Condemnation- being more focused on our sin than on God's grace.
(Mahaney111-113)

If I were to choose out of the three which I struggled the most, it would be condemnation.- Being more focused on my sin than on God's grace. But praise be to God, I am reminded by His Word that I have received His love, mercy, and grace.

Questions to ponder on:
1. Are we rooted in self-worship and self-glorification? Why? What can we do to give ALL glory to God?
2. Are committing acts of subjectivism, legalism, and condemnation taken too seriously?
3. When we say All for the Glory of GOD, is it really all for the glory of God?

-

3 more chapters to go on Living the Cross Centered Life! :) I cannot wait to start on Right Thinking In A World Gone Wrong by John MacArthur! And for the book of Psalms only 100 more chapters to go!!! I cannot wait to read the book of Romans!

Turning to the Gospel of Matthew chapter 27:32-44, we find the chapter on Christ's crucifixion. It has been awhile since I have read the gospel. In realization to how amazing grace is, I am overwhelmed and my heart breaks for those who do not know of how GREAT this amazing grace is. The extent of God's love is so sweet like honey. My heart really goes out to those who have not yet heard of the Gospel. But how can I, a small, tiny, insignificant person who struggles with subjectivsm, legalism, and condemnation majority of the time serve such a holy God?

Ephesians 2:8-9 (English Standard Version)

8ForA)">(A) by grace you have been savedB)">(B) through faith. And this isC)">(C) not your own doing;D)">(D) it is the gift of God, 9E)">(E) not a result of works,F)">(F) so that no one may boast.



Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment