My Playlist

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Early Childhood Educational Center


I recently decided to volunteer this semester at the Early Childhood Educational Center (ECEC) on campus. Thus far, I've volunteered for two consecutive days and I'm sooo POOPED.

A gist of what it's like: There's three age groups and they are categorized and separated into 3 classrooms: Infants, toddlers and preschoolers. The Director of the ECEC, Danielle placed me into a classroom of 20 preschoolers who are all about 3-4 year old (completely different from the last time I volunteered, which was comprised of only 5 preschoolers during the summer). The kids are definitely loaded up with tons of sugar which is then converted into energy. They are literally bouncing off walls, eating playdoh, picking their boogers, putting everything in their mouth, bullying other kids, and more. And I'm exhausted even though I only volunteer about 2-2 1/2 hours a day too. I never really intended on volunteering everyday, but somehow there are three preschoolers who happen to be Chinese, aka they speak mostly in Mandarin. So there's some sort of language barrier between the teachers and kids. When the teachers had found out that I can speak a tiny bit of Mandarin, they were so happy and excited! I had just taken an entire year worth of Mandarin my first year in college, but it's not enough to fully understand these kids. The teachers thought that it would be helpful if I could volunteer there more often by communicating with them. It's really tiring but I really do enjoy it. I can't wait to apply for a job/internship there! I think this is such a great opportunity for me to see if I really want to work in an orphanage, (perhaps in China?). So I need to utilize my Mandarin more + more.

Oh! And it's pretty cool that Christy and I are volunteering together! :) Hopefully she gets Preschoolers too!


Crocs+volunteering = #1, the most comfortable shoe to wear while volunteering!

What makes CROCS soo AWESOME!

Praise the Lord for all that He has done, is doing, and will do!

1 comment:

  1. haha....nice post on volunteering and crocs. they're soo UGLY, but soooo COMFY!

    ReplyDelete